Parental Responsibility

Do You Need Advice on Your Rights as a Parent?

We understand the importance for both parents to be involved in their child’s lives. As a mother, you automatically have Parental Responsibility for your child. As a father, you may be entitled to Parental Responsibility for your child.

Parental Responsibility

“Very friendly” – 5 star

“I highly recommend this law firm! They are very friendly and approachable and will deal with any issue efficiently. You will not get a better, more informative or professional service in the town; and being able to contact them at the week– 5 starends or night time if need be is very reassuring!!”

We can help to obtain Parental Responsibility for a parent of a child so they can be involved in all the important decision’s regarding the child’s life such as what school they attend and what religion they will follow etc.- Parental Responsibility Solicitors.

What is Parental Responsibility?

Parental responsibility is the right, duty, power, responsibility and authority a parent has over its child. To gain the legal right to decide whether your child receives, for example, a particular medical treatment, or the right to decide which school your child attends, you must first have Parental Responsibility.

Our Parental Responsibility Solicitors can apply to Court on your behalf for a Parental Responsibility Order if you do not have Parental Responsibility for your child.

If you have think you need Family Law Advice and you are not sure what to do, just call us today to speak to one of our Solicitors free of charge and without obligation. FREE Consultation.

How Do I Obtain Parental Responsibility?

As a mother, you automatically have Parental Responsibility for your child. If you are married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth, you will automatically have Parental Responsibility. If you and the mother of your child are not married, Parental Responsibility is not guaranteed, however there are certain ways in which it can be obtained such as:-

  • If your child is born after December 2003 and you are named on the birth certificate
  • Through a formal written agreement with the mother
  • By obtaining a Parental Responsibility Order from the Court
  • By having a Residence Order in respect of your child.

How Can We Help? – Parental Responsibility Solicitors

Our Family Law Solicitors are available to provide immediate advice and assistance to you. We make sure that you get the best possible representation so that your position and rights are fully protected.

We are available to provide you with immediate advice and assistance. We offer a Free Consultation and can apply for Legal Aid funding on your behalf.

Free Legal Aid

At McGee O’Kane Solicitors we are expert Solicitors in Northern Ireland specialising in Legal Aid. We can apply for Legal Aid for you and offer a Free Consultation to assess your eligibility for Legal Aid.

Make an enquiry

To make a no obligation enquiry, please call us now on 028 71 229 343, email us on or Make An Online Enquiry.


Why Choose Us?

  • Friendly & Trusted Solicitors
  • FREE Initial Consultation
  • Legal Aid Available

Client Reviews:-

default image

"Couldn’t recommend McGee O’Kane Solicitors enough, they are very friendly & informative. You’ll get 100% honesty and your case will be dealt with efficiently no matter day or night they are easily contacted and couldn’t do enough to help. Excellent service wouldn’t go anywhere else." Friendly Solicitors Derry

August 17, 2018

<< Prev
Next >>